Love

Love

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Don Stoll: Grandpa, Father, and Stubborn, Kind Man

My dear grandfather passed on to another place on January 14, 2014. He was a very dear man to me and meant the world to me since my dad died 6 years ago. You see, my grandpa loved my dad a whole lot and really loved spending time with his son. Even though my dad was with grandpa quite a lot, I was quite afraid of my grandpa. Why you ask... well, he is a very brash, blunt, harsh man with his words and actions. I soon found out why and how to get back to that. I did this by swallowing my fear and trying to fill in for my dad. I went to visit whenever I was home from college and while with him, asking all questions I could about his life and who he was. It only took about 3 times in order to break into a decent conversation that was not awkward or shy. 

What did I find out about him? 
  1. He was born and raised in Oshkosh, WI
  2. He loved sailing, hunting, and fishing with his dad
  3. He was forced to sign up for the war and served two years
  4. He got his degree in engineering 
  5. He worked for Boeing Airlines for awhile after college
  6. He then worked for the government at a ammunition plant
  7. He cherished his cabin who was given to him from his dad.
  8. He gives and gives to his family without them really noticing
  9. He loves talking about his marriage and spending time with his great grandson, Alex
  10. It matters to leave a legacy of goodness and hard work
It is so quiet at his house; it will be different to visit home without visiting him. I will miss him greatly and never forget what I have been taught in 6 short years.


On my wedding day... look at that cute, crooked onions.

Playing the family game, cribbage, at the cabin.

Christmas last month with Santa in his
jammies.

The legacy will live on. Fishing, cabin, and a hardworking
spirit.
Farewell, kind old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment