Love

Love

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Real Life: Dress Fitting

So on 9/6/12 I had my first dress fitting. I thought for sure this was going to be the day of my dreams. I had been waiting for this moment for months. I thought for sure I was going to write this day down in my life book as a day to always remember. Well, this day turned out to be one of those days that did not work out to be the most easy days through other circumstances so my dress fitting had a sense of weight on it.
So...I get to Posh Bridal on Franklin in downtown Minneapolis at 6:30. I arrived to meet who I thought is a sales person but is really the seamstress. She walks up to me with an awkward hand shake and a presence of chain-smoker beaming from her. She shows me the room and I wait. I wait. I wait. The anticipation is lurking over me and I start to think my dress has gone missing. Nope, the seamstress apologizes and mentions she needed a smoke break. Really, lady? Really?

So she puts the dress on the hook and unzips my bag for the dress. At first look, I remember the day putting it on for the first time... All the memories come streaming back. As she pulls the dress from the bag, I gasp. A gasp for breath and also a gasp for nervousness. This dress is not what I remembered... It has the basic features but I do not remember it having a certain spec to it and I immediately think that I have made the wrong decision. I agree to try it on and when I walk out of the dressing area and see my self in the mirror, I immediately see myself as a short, stocky girl. I want to cry, the dress I have been dreaming about looks like a total fish out of water experience on me. The dress is completely gorgeous but on me it features all the things I live to hide of my body. There are things a girl would love to forget they have and buy clothes to hide those things. The thing about the dress that did work out is that it fits GREAT, the size is like a glove; just a too-tight-in-certain-areas glove. There were only two non-fitting fixes I had to pay for. So, needless to say, I left the shoppe paying for changes for a dress I did not appreciate.

I ran to my car and balled to my mother. She was so scared at the thought of needing to come 6 months later and help me find a filler dress in a matter of a month. We talked over the issues and and we decided that I was going to wear my dress for my day and stick to the plan. She saw some live pictures of me in it and told me that all the thoughts I had were strictly flesh-sin and that I looked simply beautiful.

So, since my wedding dress fitting.... I have been on a slim fast diet and given myself a pep talk daily. "i will like my dress and I will not think about myself being fat." If you can't change the way the dress fits, then you got to change the way you fit the dress. Right?

Well, true life, this is what some brides go through. My day will be perfect and I feel like on October 6, at my final fitting, I will look at the dress in a different light and feel like I made the perfect decision. Pray for me peeps, this is like the icing on the cake.

1 comment:

  1. that's great truth! You're going to rock that dress lo. you are going to ROCK IT! :)

    ReplyDelete