Love

Love

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Engagement: His Perspective

Laura was in Spain and I was stuck in America, it was the worst.  She left in late August for her great European adventure and I was left to continue my everyday life...or was I?  Little did she know, I had been scheming for weeks!  I could not let this once in a lifetime opportunity pass me by, so I bought a plane ticket.  I flew out from Chicago, days after I was able to get her wedding ring finished.  After several stops in Frankfurt and Barcelona, I finally arrived in Sevilla on Tuesday, October 11th.  Laura's roommate had agreed to lure her to a nearby bridge where I planned on meeting them to surprise her.  I hadn't got confirmation on if the exact meeting time would work, so I tried calling Laura's roommate when I got to my hostal, but there was no answer.  It was 6pm and I had until 8pm, so I decided to explore a little and make sure I could find the bridge.  I wandered around for over an hour, found the bridge, but realized I had no clue how to get back to my hostal.  I wanted to get back to the hostal so I could try calling Laura's roommate once more to confirm the meeting time.  After coming to the realization that there was no way I could find my hostal, call her roommate, and still make it to the bridge by 8pm, I decided to try and call her with a payphone.  Thirty minutes later I had managed to waste five euros and and get really frustrated.  I knew virtually no Spanish and could not figure out how to use that phone to save my life.  I finally said, "forget it", and literally ran to the bridge.  I got there ten minutes late but saw Laura standing with a group of girls.  All my frustration and worries melted away when I saw her beautiful face.  As I approached, her friends saw me coming and started walking towards the end of the bridge, leaving Laura alone.  I walked right by her, but she didn't notice me.  I looped around, put my arm on her shoulder and said, "hey Laura".  She immediately shrugged my hand off her shoulder, put her head down, and began to walk faster.  Then I said, "Hey Laura wait, it's Caleb".  She spun around with the most confused look on her face and we embraced for quite some time.  Then she said, "wow, what now!?"  So I dropped to a knee and pulled out the ring.  I had prepared an elaborate speech, all in Spanish, about how much I loved her and why I wanted to marry her, but my mind went blank.  I muttered the only words I could remember, "Te casarias conmigo?"(will you marry me?).  She responded by screaming, "Shut up!" and eventually, "YES!".  ...Mission accomplished!

1 comment: